Black Hills Electric Cooperative offers its members programs and services to help them save money on their electrical energy needs.
Electric Heat Rate
BHEC's electric heat rate has given its members an economical way to heat their homes and businesses since 1987.
The program is simple: from October 1 through April 30, all separately metered electric heat will receive a credit of 2.5¢ per kilowatt-hour. BHEC will provide all necessary equipment and labor to separately meter the electric heat for a $150 charge. For more information, contact the office.
The cooperative offers the following rebate program forelectric water heaters installed in the cooperative's service territory.
- Rebate Program
- Water Heaters (Installed in BHEC's service territory.) — For new construction: Black Hills Electric Cooperative will sell to the builder or homeower a Marathon water heater with a life-time warranty on the tank for half the cooperative's cost. For new construction using a non-Marathon water heater, the cooperative will pay $1 per gallon.
- Replacing an electric water heater: Members may purchase a Marathon water heater from the cooperative at a discount. The cooperative does not pay a rebate for replacing an electric water heater with a non-Marathon water heater.
- For fossil fuel conversion: BHEC will sell a Marathon water heater to its members for three-fourths off our cost or the member may receive $3 per gallon if replacing other fuel with an non-Marathon electric water heater purchased elsewhere.
- Low-Interest Loans
- The cooperative has available low-interest loans up to $5,000 at 5% to be paid back over 7 years. The loans may be used for purchase and/or installation of electric heat and weatherizing your home.
- Wiring Assistance
- Licensed electricians will answer questions concerning residential and commerical wiring needs.
- Budget billing is available to members who wish to even out their monthly bills to fit within their monthly budget. If you choose budget billing, your monthly bill amount will be based on an average of your 12 most recent bills. This average will result in small variations each month in your electric bill, rather than a large adjustment at the end of each 12-month period. These variations usually are between two and five dollars a month. Contact the office to find out if you qualify.
- Automatic Payment Plan
The automatic payment plan allows members to pay their electric bills automatically from their checking or savings account, MasterCard or Visa. Now, you can forget about paying your electric bill each month. With the automatic payment plan, your bank will automatically pay BHEC from the account you specify. It saves checks, postage and time. To apply, please print out the form, fill in all the information and mail the completed form to BHEC . Contact the office to find out if you qualify. Contact the office to find out if you qualify.